By Richard Bauman
- A attention-grabbing standpoint on intertextuality: the concept that written and spoken texts communicate to each other, e.g. via style or allusions.
- Presents a chain of ethnographic case reviews to demonstrate the topic.
- Draws on a wide diversity of oral performances and literary files from around the world.
- The author’s creation units a framework for the research of style, practice and intertextuality.
- Shows how performers mixture genres, e.g., telling tales approximately riddles or legends approximately magical verses, or developing revenues pitches.
Read or Download A World of Others' Words: Cross-Cultural Perspectives on Intertextuality PDF
Similar folklore & mythology books
Begin your engines and stick with the backroads, the old paths, and the scenic panorama that have been formed through geologic Ice a while and traveled by way of great Thicket explorers in addition to modern park advocates—all as varied because the huge Thicket itself. From Spanish missionaries to Jayhawkers, and from trees barons to public officers, you'll meet a few strange characters who inhabited a superb quarter.
" Explores the ancient upward thrust of the literary fairy story as style within the overdue 17th century. In his examinations of key classical fairy stories, Zipes strains their distinctive metamorphoses in heritage with gorgeous discoveries that demonstrate their ideological dating to domination and oppression. stories similar to attractiveness and the Beast, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, and Rumplestiltskin became a part of our daily tradition and shapers of our identities.
Animal fables are acknowledged to have originated with Aesop, a semilegendary Samian slave, however the earliest surviving list of the fables comes from the Latin poet Phaedrus, who brought the hot style to Latin literature. This verse translation of The Fables is the 1st in English in additional than 200 years.
Retelling 30 myths and legends of the jap Cherokee, this booklet offers the tales with vital information delivering a culturally genuine and traditionally actual context. heritage info is given inside each one tale so the reader may possibly steer clear of reliance on glossaries, endnotes, or different explanatory aids.
- The Evolution of Tolkien’s Mythology: A Study of the History of Middle-earth (Critical Explorations in Science Fiction and Fantasy)
- Turtle Was Gone a Long Time Volume 3: Anaconda Canoe
- Philosophy, Religious Studies, and Myth (Theorists of Myth)
- The Cambridge Companion to Greek Mythology (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
Additional info for A World of Others' Words: Cross-Cultural Perspectives on Intertextuality